Resources for Landlords

Visit the EPA National Lead Information website for more information about Renovation, Repair and Painting. At the Lead Hotline information, speak with a specialist by phone, fax, mail or email.

Also a publication called Lead Paint Safety Field Guide is available (PDF, 84 pages).

Online Document Request: You may use the online Document Request Form to order documents electronically.

image3Documents available electronically include:

Lead Disclosure Rule
EPA and HUD are required by Congress under Section 1018 of Title X, the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act of 1992, 42 U.S.C. § 4852d, to jointly enforce the Real Estate Notification and Disclosure Rule ("Disclosure Rule"). The Disclosure Rule requires landlords, property management companies, real estate agencies, and sellers to inform potential lessees and purchasers of the presence of lead-based paint and lead-based paint hazards in pre-1978 housing. This ensures that potential tenants and home buyers are receiving the information necessary to protect themselves and their families from lead-based paint hazards prior to them being obligated to purchase or rent pre-1978 housing.
Click on title for a copy of this document: Lead Disclosure Form

Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP Rule)
Common renovation activities like sanding, cutting, and demolition can create hazardous lead dust and chips by disturbing lead-based paint, which can be harmful to adults and children. To protect against this risk, on April 22, 2008, EPA issued the RRP Rule. It requires that firms performing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in pre-1978 homes, child care facilities and schools be certified by EPA and that they use certified renovators who are trained by EPA-approved training providers to follow lead-safe work practices. Individuals can become certified renovators by taking an eight-hour training course from an EPA-approved training provider. For more information visit: or the DEP website below.
Other information: Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule Related Information

How to Get Trained in the Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule
To become a Certified Firm in the RRP rule, you must first take an 8 hour training course. Once you have completed, you can apply to the Environmental Protection Agency and pay a fee to get your firm ‘certified’. These steps – taking the course, applying to EPA and paying a fee – are required to legally qualify to conduct renovation work when you are disturbing more than 6 square feet inside, or 20 square feet outside.
For training and contact information visit:

Is There a Simple Way to Track the Requirements of RRP?
The Environmental Protection Agency provides a ‘Sample Renovation Recordkeeping Checklist’ that provides a useful means to ensure you are meeting the documentation requirements of this rule. This checklist also provides a good reminder of the key aspects of the RRP rule – namely: Notification, Containment, Cleaning, and Testing. This form is provided as guidance only and is not guaranteed to ensure compliance.
Sample Renovation Recordkeeping Checklist (click for document)

Maine DEP Oversee Lead Waste Disposal and Removal Practices
Maine law requires contractors and landlords to take all reasonable precautions to prevent the release of lead to the environment. Their website has helpful information for the contractor about waste disposal, and also useful contract amendments that landlords and others can put into their contracts to ensure that lead safe practices are followed on the job site.

Tip Sheets and Research Reports
The Maine Department of Human Resources has a wealth of information on childhood lead poisoning, and specific information for Landlords and Property Managers. This site provides simple, ready to use ‘tip sheets’, provides research reports, the laws governing lead in Maine, and other information.